Fifth Post- 17 June 2024

This week I completed my copy editing for my article and sent it to Dr. Lester. I tried to keep all critiques and edits appropriate to my position as an editor and reviewer and I think that I did that successfully. Once again the reviewers met with Dr. Lester in her office and we touched base with one another. I got to hear about what other kinds of new projects my peers were working on, which was very interesting. My laptop was giving me serious trouble this week, so my access to Word, which I have been using to review the article, was restricted temporarily, but I think this has been resolved for good. Another issue I ran into was that I was unable to find the images Dr. Lester sent me to add to the article. I knew they were in an email somewhere, but I could not find them for the life of me, so I wrote “Image” as a placeholder in all the places where I would have put the image. Of course, after having sent her the finished document, I immediately located the email. I realized I had been forwarded an email, and all I’d had to do was scroll up on the email she had sent me with the captions. She had previously explained this to me; I simply forgot! I intend to fix this as soon as possible.


I checked back on the reviews which I was given at the beginning of the project in order to remind myself of what kinds of mistakes I was looking for and what kind of improvements I was going to make. I realized I had initially taken a very zoomed-in approach, not considering what larger structural discrepancies the article may have had. I went back and reevaluated the changes I had made with this in mind. Many of my grammatical adjustments still held up, but it changed the way I assessed the article as a whole. Once again I have found myself in a position of judgment, which I am not used to, but I feel I have managed to adapt accordingly.


If I am done with this article, this means the beginning of a new project, for which I am very excited. If I understand correctly (based on the work my peers have already gotten started on), the next assignment will revolve around an academic book. I have always been an avid reader of history, so I feel this will be particularly enjoyable for me. I know this internship is not a race, but I hope I am not too far behind my peers. I want to work at a pace that is appropriate for the professional sphere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Post- 17 May 2024

Second Post- 24 May 2024